On Monday 13 January 2003 05:19 pm, Josenildo Marques
wrote:
> Hi Listers !
>
> I have added a cd-writer to my computer, which is
> running ML9. The problem is that I can't get cdrecord to
> see my cd-writer.Here's my last attempt:
> [root@localhost root]# cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord 1.11a32 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
> 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open
> '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
> Make sure you are root.
>
> I can see it labelled 'cd-burner' in the Mandrake
> Control Center-> Mount points.
>
> Here's what cat/etc/fstab shows:
>
> [root@localhost root]# cat /etc/fstab
> /dev/hda6 / ext3 defaults 1 1
> none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
> none /mnt/cdrom supermount
> dev=/dev/hdd,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=
>850,umask=0 0 0 none /mnt/cdrw supermount
> dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,umask=0 0 0 none /mnt/floppy
> supermount
> dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepag
>e=850,umask=0 0 0 /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat
> iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0 none /proc
> proc defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
>
> The Creative CD-Writer is as Master and the CD-Rom as
> slave.
>
> Kscd is not playing cd's anymore. I don't know how to
> change to symbolic link so that it can play music cd's.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Josenildo, here's some additional advice that I copied from
my *tips'n'tricks list* ( thanks to Derek for this !) :

This is a common problem. You need to ensure that your
user, the cdwriter,
and all the cd applications have the same group
permissions.

1/Create a group called 'cdwriter' using Userdrake and put
any users who are
to burn CD's in that group. (It may already exist)

2/ You then need to give cdwriter group privileges for the
following
applications (all in /usr/bin) If any of these apps are
missing install them
from RPM.
cdrecord
cdda2wav
cdparanoia
mkisofs
readcd
You can do this using konqueror. Just open
Kmenu>Application>FileTools>FileManager(SuperUserMode)
Find the files you want to change the permissions of, right
click, select
'Permissions' and set the group name to be cdwriter

3/ Put the CD-RW in the cdwriter group by editing the
permissions of /dev/scd0

You can test your cd burner by opening a user terminal and
typing
cdrecord --scanbus
If it finds your CD writer then cd burning should work.

HTH
Kaj Haulrich
Denmark.