On January 14, 2003 12:21 pm, Myers, Dennis R NWO wrote:
<snipped with an axe then edited>

> Interesting post, I would have to say that the approach Mandrake is taking
> is a radical departure from the past and was surprised that my install of
9.0
> went so easily.

I'd be a whole lot happier to be (at least somewhat) posting things less
interesting Dennis.

> I too could not find volume or get kmail to send but
> otherwise thought the system worked ok for a beta 1.

I had very little trouble making K-Mail work sending and receiving. It was
merely a matter of settings being different enough to make for a little
confusion. The volume problem is unforgivable though, beta or not. Just my
opinion.

> On the other hand I
> have tried numerous times to install ELX and find it to be a total piece of
> crap. It goes through the install without any problem and then refuses to
> initiate the xserver. I gave it four tries and then pitched the disks. This
> was on a comp with all hardware less than a year old.

I didn't say it was easy but I managed to get it done. Lots of reading and
guessing involved though. I wouldn't refuse to put that effort into Mandrake
beta testing either, but broken is broken and I am not a
coder/developer/programmer. My input wouldn't benefit anyone since I couldn't
fix any of the problems.

Major difference from the brief description above:
My (base hardware) machine is three and a half years old even though the hard
drives and memory are newer. The one you mentioned is less than a year old. A
year ago is ancient history in computer technology, granted; but that means
mine is prehistoric. Positively Jurassic. ;-)

>  Anyway, patience will
> prove the ability of the MandrakeSoft programmers I believe. They have come
> a long way with the distro since I started using it back in the 6.x days,
> what was that, three or four years ago?  Time flies when......

Agreed. Guardedly.

I'm just a little choked at the "wrong list for this" crap and a few other
minor list aggravations.

I'm big time choked at the breaking of something that was working then reading
me. Learn to write a bug report." Or, "We need more information," when the
list of hardware and errors is sent with the questions. Precisely what
flippin' information would that be? Are "(l)users" (seemingly the attitude of
programmers re:users) supposed to read the 'developer gods' minds? Too much
arrogant BS in other words.

That ain't brown sugar either.

Regards;
Charlie