On Tuesday 14 January 2003 22:21, John Richard Smith wrote:
> H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> >On Tuesday 14 January 2003 19:55, John Richard Smith wrote:
> >>I have a problem, cannoget new boot disc to boot, it hangs attempting
> >>to start xwindows on the command line "startX"
> >>long error message, ending lookin /var/log/xfree86.0.long
> >>please see file enclosed.
> >>
> >>This is a newly created bootdisc made in MCC-boot,  in M9.0
> >>
> >>How do I get a boot disc to cope with nvidia drivers,
> >>
> >>John
> >
> >John,
> >I'm not sure what you mean here. The boot floppy only contains the kernel
> >image needed to boot your / partition.
> > After initial boot "/boot" shows the way to go and the / partition takes
> > over using the specified kernel.
> >Startx is along way away from the bootdisk. Whatever your problem with
> > Nvidia is, a bootdisk won't change it ever.
> >
> >So tell us what's up.
> >
> >Good luck,
> >HarM
>
> Harm,
>
> I am trying to make a usable boot floppy for my M9.0 OS,
> went to MCC and made one in usual manner.
>
> I then put it to the test.It hangs,doesn't boot to login at all.
> I su root and ,
> I give it the startx command ,
> error message,
>
> makes:(--)probed, (88)from config file,(==)default setting
>           (==)from command line,(!!)notice  (II) informational
>           (ww) warning     (EE) error,   (NI) not implimented
>           (??) unknown
> (==)longfile:"/var/log/xfree86.0.,time 14.01.2003 1809
> (==) using config file: "/etc/x11/xf86Config-4"
>        using vt.7
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): failed to initialise the NVIDIA kernel module
> (EE) NVIDIA (0) : aborting ***
> (FF) Screen (s) found, but none have a usable configuratation
> Fatal screen error, no screens found
> look in .var/log/xFree86.0.long
>
> I attatched var/log/xFree86.0.long previously,
>
> How do I get my boot floppy to boot to dektop
> using my Nvidia drivers, it seems to fail.
>
> thanks,
>
> John

Well for one make sure your lilo (and/or bootdisk) is pointing to the right
kernel and / partition.
I take it you installed 9.1beta on some partition and it installed lilo.

If so the lilo is probably pointing at the /boot on the partition created
(maybe used) by 9.1 and can't find the nescesary nvidia drivers there.

So either try to start your 9.0 install with a rescue disc, I always use
Slackware bootdisk and enter "linux mount root=/dev/hdxx" where hdxx is the
wanted root(/) partition on the prompt. It never failed me=:o)

Or else stick the boot floppy in some other box and edit the "syslinux.cfg"
file in there. There's in line in there pointing to the root partition(append
initrd=initrd.img root=/dev/hdxx) which should point at your 9.0 partition.

Or (this is linux) edit the "/etc/lilo.conf" in your 9.1 partition after
booting it with "failsafe", going into "maintainance mode" (init 1) and using
"vi".
Get an entry (or change an existing one) that points to the right partition.
Don't forget to run "lilo" to save it all. You can't run "lilo" enough in this
business.=:o)

HTH,
HarM