On Tuesday 14 January 2003 11:39 am, fifner the dragon scribbled nervously:
> Hi,
> I ran the ftp utility in the mandrake control center (mandrake9). It
> installed proftpd for me.
>
> Where can I find proftpd?
>
> And does it run with a GUI? If not, can I get a GUI for it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Fifner

Fifner,

the answers to your questions are in order of appearance:

runs as a service - it is an FTP server: service proftpd start|stop|restart|
no...
no...

I'm wondering though...from your post it sounds as though you understood
Proftpd to be a client that would allow you to transfer files? is this
correct? If so...that is not the case. Proftpd is an FTP server and will
allow "others" to upload/download files to/from your machine. Once it's
correctly configured that is...

If all you really wanted was a client program with which you could
download/transfer files from your computer to other computers then gFTP does
a nice job and is very likeyly already on your system.

In the event that you did indeed mean to install an FTP server on your
computer, then why eat hamburg when you can just as readily eat steak? and
very good steak at that. ( Pure-FTPd ) IT's much more secure and a bit less
work to get setup and running. But...to each his own...
--
Mark