> > Let me describe briefly my home network set up: The XP machine has two
> > NICs, one hooked to the ADSL modem/router and the other one, which ICS
> > configure automatically as 192.168.0.1, connected to a 10 Mbps hub (I
> > hope I'll get soon a cheap 100Mbps switch). The other two machines in
> > the network are connected using twisted-pair cable CAT5 to the hub.
> >
> > XP machine (192.168.0.1) is used as default gateway and as DHCP and DNS
> > server for the other two machines. In reality, XP is just a DNS proxy
> > with a minimal DHCP server. No possibility of tweaking the DHCP server
> > although I managed to tweak the DNS proxy (the tweaked settings are lost
> > if the XP machine is rebooted).
> >
> > Am I missing something?
>
> Set the Primary DNS to the XP machine, the secondary DNS to your ISP's
> primary DNS, put the IP of the XP machine in your /etc/hosts file, set
> Mozilla/Netscape (Under ADVANCED / HTTP NETWORKING) to Enable Keep-Alive
> and Enable Pipelining (under the Direct Connection Options).
Stephen,

This saga keeps going.

Today, when receiving my emails (only Evolution was connected), the connection
to the LAN was lost. For a couple of minutes I couldn't even ping the gateway.

I tried a few times with the same outcome: I couldn't get the mails and needed
to start all over. I realized that the only way to get the connection back was
by pinging the gateway.

So I decided to hook the Linux laptop directly to the ADSL modem, without firewall or
NAT. No protection whatsoever. I thought it might be a faulty network cable or even
the hub.

But then again, the same problem. And again, I needed to ping the default gateway
provided by the ISP to get the connection back.

So I suppose there must be some faulty interaction between Mandrake and the laptop NIC.

I have never had this sort of problem when booting XP.

I just wanted to let you know to satisfy (or tease) your curiosity.

Adolfo