Noah,

In response to your second question, yes, there is a big difference between 802.11a and 802.11b. If memory serves me correctly, 802.11a uses a different frequency (2.4 GHz if I remember correctly), and supports what is called a "turbo mode" to allow data transfer rates of up to 54 Mbps. The up-and-coming 802.11g standard will also take advantage of the fast transfer rates, but uses the same frequency as the 802.11b, and will therefore be backward-compatible. I'm sure if I'm mistaken about any of this, someone will be kind enough to correct me.

On a related subject, can anyone recommend a USB wireless adapter that works with linux? I don't have any more free slots in my home computer. :-(

Thanks!

Terry

Noah A Hicks wrote:

Can anyone recommend a PCI wireless card that's compatible with linux?
Is there a difference between 802.11a and 802.11b? Thanks for any tips.
-Noah

Terry Sheltra
PC Technician/Network Administrator
University of Virginia