Don't know if it makes sense, but have you tried

$ whereis g++

On my MDK9.0 I get:
g++: /usr/bin/g++ /usr/share/man/man1/g++.1.bz2

From your log looks like g++ is not installed. It could be in a different package than gcc (i.e. gcc-c++)

raffaele

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
below is the output when trying to run ./configure from a source tarball of gtop 1.0.13. I've never seen this error before.... below also is my gcc version.
i've tried running it as root with the same results.

any ideas why?

Jerry.

[jerry@main gtop-1.0.13]$ ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr//bin/install -c
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gnome-config... /usr//bin/gnome-config
checking if /usr//bin/gnome-config works... yes
checking for orbit-config... /usr//bin/orbit-config
checking for orbit-idl... /usr//bin/orbit-idl
checking for working ORBit environment... yes
checking for gnorba libraries... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for POSIXized ISC... no
checking for c++... no
checking for g++... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C++ compiler (gcc ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler cannot create executables.
[jerry@main gtop-1.0.13]$

[root@main gtop-1.0.13]# gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.2 (Mandrake Linux 9.0 3.2-1mdk)

[root@main gtop-1.0.13]#