Raffaele Belardi wrote:
To check the path(s), type
$ env | grep PATH

or
$ echo $PATH

I don't think java.rpm sets up the path to the executables. You can do it by hand adding it to your .bashrc. Or, you can create a /etc/profile.d/local.sh as root, and put those settings there, so they will be loaded by all the users when they login.

For example, here's my /etc/profile.d/local.sh (but for .bashrc it would be the same):
# Configuration variables added by me

# variables for Forte Java Developement environment
export JDK_HOME=/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.0/
PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.0/bin

# variable for Mozilla 1.0
export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/local/mozilla

The ony advantage I see of having a ~/bin is that its content will not be deleted (provided /home is in its own partition) when you upgrade the distribution. But be warned that normally rpm packages will install in a system directory (i.e. /usr/local or the like) and it will not be easy to convince them to use ~/bin instead. I abandoned the ~/bin almost immediately.
Unless, of course, you plan to develop your own stuff. In this case, a ~/bin and the proper path is the way to go.

raffaele
Or, you could simply place symlinks from the java executables into /usr/bin and you wouldn't have to fuss with any of the PATH stuff cause /usr/bin is already in all the $USER paths.

Mark