Well
my experience has been that the only open source option is wine, however
wine is not so stable and requires a lot of fiddling to get it to work,
and it is not so fast.

VM ware is not for everyone, if you are testing on many OSes it probably
is the best choice.

I don't know all thats out there but for explorer and similar apps
Crossover office works fine.

>From what I have read on this list Win4Lin is much faster and runs more
apps.

If you must have it open then have fun with wine....
Aaron