----- Original Message -----
From: mbot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Hello newbie,
>
> Sorry to bother you all again and again about this matter. But I'm
> getting frustated to find the (right) driver to make my modem work.
>
> Please, with all do respect, don't say that I have to go to winmodem or linmodem to
>get the
> driver. Cos I did, and had donwload some DRIVERS as folows:
> 1. hsflinmodem-5.03.27mbsibeta02122600.1.i386.rpm
> 2. hsflinmodem-5.03.27mbsibeta02122600k.2.4.19 16mdk-1mdk.i586.rpm
> 3. ltmodem-kv 2.4.19 16mdk-8.22a5-1.i586.rpm
> 4. ltmodem-kv_2.4.19_16mdk-8.26a9-1.i586.rpm
> 5. riptide-0.4mbsibeta02122500k2.4.19_16mdk-1mdk.i586.rpm
> 6. PCI_56K_V2_K2.2.17.tar
> ... but the problem remains the same :-( .
>
> Once again, help me please. Cos I'm totally blind about this wonderful
> OS. And in advance ... thank's a lot, Guys!
>
> --
> Best regards,
>  mbot
Hi mbot, you might be able to get more precise information about your modem specs by
going here:
http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/modemident.html
and getting the List Modem Application program. Run this program, either the Windows
version on your MS system, or the Linux version on Linux.

That should give you more details about your modem to help you find the right driver,
if it's available.
It's does seem that you have a HSF chipset modem though.
Theoretically, the mbsi driver should work for you. Follow the instructions provided
on mbsi's site very carefully. Have you tried compiling the generic driver package
from source? I have a HCF Conexant modem, and get very good results with the mbsi
driver. I do compile the generic source rpm on my machine. I get better performance
doing that.
I believe my winmodem actually works better as a Linmodem! However, YMMV, as always.
Also, there is a tar package which may well be worth a try too.

It can be quite discouraging to a new Linux user to try to get a winmodem to work. I
know what it's like! Some can be made to work however, and work quite well too.
I hope you get on-line w/Linux! Good luck to you. :-)

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness."--James
Thurber

*Reg. Linux User #278931*
*Power by Mandrake Linux 9.0*

http://www.operamail.com
Now with OperaMail Premium for only US$29.99/yr