I think the xscreensaver it so good; you can use it even with KDE (by default
Gnome uses it). To use it just do:

A) In kde control panel dissable screensaver

B) put in /home/<user>/.kde/Autostart/
an script file named, for example, start-xscreensaver.sh with just this
conten: xscreensaver -nosplash

make it executable (chmod +x .....)

C) The next time you will start KDE you will be able to change the parameters
of xscreensaver typing in a console: xscreensaver-demo (I like to put it to
change of screensaver every 2 minutes, and in random mode). I read this cheat
from mandrake forum
(http://www.mandrakeforum.com/article.php?sid=2078&lang=en)

D) you can improve the xscreensaver adding several wonderfull screensaver to
xscreensaver, have a look at the next page in Mandrake Forum:
http://www.mandrakeforum.com/article.php?sid=2540&lang=en

euphoria, skyrocket, plasma...... look fantastic.

More interesting pages in Mandrake Forum:
http://www.mandrakeforum.com/article.php?sid=1953&lang=en (to enable xmatrix)

--
Francisco Alcaraz Ariza
Departamento de Biología Vegetal