On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, John Aldrich wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> > After I dial in to my ISP and establish a ppp connection, I can't do
> > anything.  Trying to telnet gets the following message:
> >
> > host name lookup failure
> >
> > no matter what machine I try to dial into. Netscap gives me the following:
> >
> > unable to locate the server home.netscape.com.  Can anyone shed some light
> > on this dilemna?  I've been using Red Hat on another machine for the last
> > two years with no problems. Thanks.
> >

> What do you have in your /etc/resolv.conf???

I've been using the ppp-on and ppp-off scripts, after hand editing
resolv.conf and other necessary files, all along on the other machine. I
was under the impression that the kppp utility, having been configured
with this information, made editing resolv.conf superfluous, i.e., it
performed that task automatically (especially in light of a ppp
connection having been established). I will check this and other files
when I get back in front of the machine. Thanks to all who
responded.

/b
Barry Marler
Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology
University of Georgia
(706)542-0742
(706)542-0059 (fax)