On Monday 27 January 2003 08:03 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Partly because I have win4lin, which puts windows in my home directory, and
> partly because I am encouraging the grandchildren to backup to my machine,
> including Drive Images, the home partition is filling up faster than I
> anticipated.  It's not drastic yet, still about 1Gb free, but alarm bells
> are ringing.
>
> I have an unused ext3 partition.  I am sure that I once read that it is
> possible to link two partitions so that they are treated as one.  Can
> someone tell me how to go about it?  Thanks
>
> Anne

Make a backup of all data and the partition table first  (after backing up the
data, go to Mandrake Control->Mountpoints->Hard disk and toggle to expert
mode to make the backup floppy.)

Now you take the /home partition and the spare partition and change their
types to Linux LVM

Then you add each one of them to LVM
then you name the LVM mount point /home

now you mount /home and copy back your backup data (as made with backuponCD or
scdbackup)

And the two partitions are linked and treated logically as one partition.

If instead you want to make the spare purely for backup and you have a
separate /home/backup/ type directory, you can set up the spare partition,
copy the /home/backup data to it after mounting it temporarily under some
name, then unmount it and remount it as /home/backup/  This does not provide
the flexibility of LVM but it is a whole lot simpler.

Civileme