Rob,
I found a set of LM9.0 rpms for samba3.0-alpha21 at:
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba/samba-3-alpha/9.0/

They installed without any dependency problems although I got a few conflict
complaints with some 2.2.7 libs.  Since the samba 2.2 bin commands are
replaced with an equivalent samba 3.0a21 bin3 commands, it looks like its
possible to install both sets side by side though haven't tried that.  So far
I haven't been successful in getting the samba-client3 to see anything on my
NT/ADS network, but the day's young.

I'd love to know if you have any luck with these.
Paul