On Wednesday 29 Jan 2003 3:42 am, Steve Jeppesen wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 08:56:26 +0000
>
> Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I don't know anything about nfs really, but I just wondered if this
> > suggestion would help.  Why not make a group for those users and make
> > your default group to be that one? I would have thought that all of
> > them would be able to use the files then, whether locally or remote.
> >
> > Anne
>
> I have tried doing this, but not too sure if I did everything correctly.
>
> On the server;
> groupadd smbusers
> vi /etc/group  (and add all users behind smbusers row)
> vi /etc/samba/smb.conf  (and change hosts allow to = @smbusers)
>
> On my p.c. (not sure if I needed to but a coworker suggested it)
> groupadd smbusers
> vi /etc/group  (and add only myself as a user within smbusers group)
> groupmod -g 507 smbusers   (to match gid of servers smbusers group)
> usermod -g smbusers steve (steve being my user name)
> and just incase;
> usermod -G smbusers steve
>
> Are those the actual steps I need to do or am I missing something?
>
> I do not believe I need to make any changes to either my p.c. or the
> servers NFS settings in order to incorporate the smbusers group.
>
> After doing all of this - including Stephens suggestion - permission
> problems still exsist.
>
> Steve

I'm a bit out of my depth here, so I'll leave it to someone else to check out
your entries.  One thing does occur to me though - I thought smbusers was
what you might call a 'reserved' group, rather than just a user group, which
was what I had in mind.  I wouldn't have used that name in the groups.  I
don't do it c/l way, but I would have added user group netusers or something
like that, and added the names.

Looking at /etc/group, I see a typical entry of

usb:x:43:anne,Andy,Micky,Nigel,Gillian,david

I presume that the 43 is the number assigned to the group on creation.  I
presume you determined that before adding the line?  (Don't be offended - I'm
thrashing about).

Otherwise, I can't think of anything else right now.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302