On Wednesday 29 January 2003 10:29 pm, Dennis Myers wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 January 2003 08:24 pm, iggy wrote:
> > i've searched through the archives looking for past threads and have been
> > unsuccessful, so here goes...
> >
> > if i log in as "iggy" or "root", either way the floppy drive (fd0, i only
> > have one) and cdrom2 have a locked icon in konqueror.
> >
> > in the control center (this may or may not be related to the locked
> > drives), when i attempt to configure users i get the error message
> > "Cannot lock user lib, file /etc/ptmp or /etc/gtmp exist"
> >
> > if you know where i can go to RTFM or have some pointers for me to try,
> > any help is appreciated.
> >
> > ***extra info***  i am attempting to setup a linux terminal server using
> > the resources at www.ltsp.org and need to create a boot diskette for the
> > clients.
> >
> > thanks to all whom take time out of their busy lives to help a n00b like
> > me
> >
> > :^)
> >
> > -iggy
>
> iggy, if there are no media in the devices they will show as locked. If you
> have media in the devices then do you do "userdrake" as su or root? Try it
> from a console? HTH

thanks for the tip.  however, there was media in the drives.  When i did
"userdrake" from the console (as su) i had the same errors.  Anne W. and
Douglas B. both suggested removing the /etc/ptmp and /etc/gtmp files.  i did
go ahead and remove them.  then went into userdrake though the console and
added  the groups cdrom2 and floppy to user "iggy".  The locked icon went away
for cdrom2 but not for floppy.  however, i was able to use the floppy drive to
delete and copy files to the floppy disk meaning that i was (obviously) able
to use /mnt/floppy.  i remain unconcerned about the locked floppy icon as the
drive is usable.

thanks for the suggestion.  i now know of a quick way to change user specifiy
configurations (i usually have a console open).  su, then userdrake.
-iggy