On Thursday 30 January 2003 05:22 am, Derek Jennings wrote:
> On Thursday 30 Jan 2003 2:24 am, iggy wrote:
> > i've searched through the archives looking for past threads and have been
> > unsuccessful, so here goes...
> >
> > if i log in as "iggy" or "root", either way the floppy drive (fd0, i only
> > have one) and cdrom2 have a locked icon in konqueror.
> >
> > in the control center (this may or may not be related to the locked
> > drives), when i attempt to configure users i get the error message
> > "Cannot lock user lib, file /etc/ptmp or /etc/gtmp exist"
> >
> > if you know where i can go to RTFM or have some pointers for me to try,
> > any help is appreciated.
> >
> > ***extra info***  i am attempting to setup a linux terminal server using
> > the resources at www.ltsp.org and need to create a boot diskette for the
> > clients.
> >
> > thanks to all whom take time out of their busy lives to help a n00b like
> > me
> >
> > :^)
> >
> > -iggy
>
> This may be a silly question...
> But.. Is there a CD or floppy in the drive?
> Supermount will show the drive as locked until there is media in it.
>
> If you do have a CD in the drive, then please post the contents of your
> /etc/fstab file
>
> BTW: An audio CD does not count. An audio CD is not a file system and
> cannot be browsed by Konqueror.  (Well not unless you press the 'Services'
> button which is the bottom button in the divider betweeen the left and
> right Konqueror panes)
>
> derek

i did have data cd and diskette in drive.  as it turned out, i needed to
delete /etc/ptmp and /etc/gtmp exist to get to userdrake.  then i added the
groups cdrom2 and floppy to user "iggy".  while the icon shows locked for the
floppy drive, i am able to use it normally.

thank you (and everybody else) who took the time to help me.
-iggy