Thanks for the responses.
After reading a little bit I'm beginning to see what you mean,
The processor and especially the ram (which I know I wont be able to
upgrade) as Simon pointed out, are big issues.
Although the ELKS link makes interesting reading.
I'll poke around with it for a while, I can always donate it back for
for somebody else to play with :-)