On Sat, 2003-02-01 at 22:25, Marlo Montanaro- KA2IRQ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to use MandrakeOnline from within Gnome to update my
> installed software.  The system is a basic workstation install of Mandrake
> 9.0.  I ran the MandrakeUpdate Wizard just fine, registered the computer on
> the website, etc.  During that process, I picked the first ftp site on the
> list...
>
> ftp://ftp.stealth.net/pub/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com ...
>
> I run the application, it contacts the ftp site and updates it's list of
> RPM's just fine.  I'll pick an RPM and the app will come back with the
> appropriate dependencies and check them off.  I click install and sometimes
> it works fine.
>
> But most of the time (especially with the larger downloads) I get...
>
> "There was an error downloading package:
>
> ftp://ftp.stealth.net/pub/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/Mandrake/updates/9.0/
> <RPM name>
>
> Error couldn't connect"
>
> With the option to continue or cancel the process.
>
> I'm not sure if something is configured incorrectly or if I am just having
> trouble with the above ftp site.
>
> Where can I change the ftp site that MandrakeOnline uses, and get a new list
> of sites, hopefully finding one closer to the East Coast (US)?  I'd like to
> do this without having to go through the whole registration process again,
> but will if I have to.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Marlo Montanaro
I had the same sort of problem until I read in the expert list about
using urpmi instead of the graphical tool.

In MCC->Software Manager->Software Sources Manager remove Updates.

Follow this link:
http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php

There you can pick the server you want to use for the updates and it
will give you the command to use with urpmi.

Copy/Paste the command to a X-terminal (Konsole is the one I use).

This will set the server to use for the updates.

Now, use "urpmi --update <name of package to update>" (no quotes).

HTH
--
    __
   / \\   @       __     __    @   Adolfo Bello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>