On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 07:14:19 -0600
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> From:                 et <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To:                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject:              Re: [newbie] Laptop external modem
> problems
> Date sent:            Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:10:50 -0500
> Send reply to:        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> On Monday 03 February 2003 09:35 am,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: > > > >   I tried the extra
> string and it man no > > > >   difference. > > > > > >
>
>   Marc > > > > I knew that, since that perticular
> string is for v92 > > modems, but the point was, on
> the
> USRobotics website > > they might have a lot of info
> about the model number of > > that modem and if it
> requires any "special" init > > settings. have you
> tried the other modem on this box? > > maybe a bad or
> screwed up modem or modem cable... > > unless you have
> swapped them with "known good" items, > > and as long
> as this problem is not specific to either > > OS.. how
> can you know? > >      You may have a point I am going
> to have a look at > the US Robotics website however
> this makes no sense to > me I have tried another modem
> just like this one but > not a different cable. was
> the
> problem cured useing a differnet modem? same cable and
> box?
>
> >  However I am going to try the
> > modem and cable off my other box that has ML 9.0
> > installed and working. I have used this same brand
> > and model of modem on at least 6 other ML9.0
> > installations and no special action was ever
> > required. Getting this model modem to work in
> > Mandrake Linux or any other OS has always been a 100%
> > nobrainer as far as how do I know that this modem is
> > good I am using it right now on the windoze part of
> > the machine and have been using it several times a
> > day every day for the last 4 days on the windoze side
> > of this machine. and have used this modem and cable
> > before on other machines.
> well then ignor my asking if the modem is good, and
> don't bother switching it around.. my bad for not
> realizing it worked good on the M$side of the box.
> what
> does your /etc/ppp/options file look like?

> > always like this brand and model of modem because it
> > is always up until this point super simple to use in
> > any operating system and any brand or vintage of
> > machine that I have ever tried this model on. Redhat,
> > mandrake 8.0,  8.1, 8.2 9.0 windoze 95,  98, 2000, ME
> > and Mac
> >  And this model always seems to play niceley with any
> > and every ISP. I have seen some brands and models of
> > modem work like crap with some ISPs and work well
> > with others but never a us robotics sportster. The
> > sportster seems to be almost a industry standard
> > along with some of the Hayes modems of course. IMHO
> > Hayes seems to have written the standards and with
> > the sportster  series US Robotics seems to have done
> > a flawless job of sticking to those standards.  As a
> [...]
   PROBLEM SOLVED  The whole problem was caused by the odd way the MOBO and bios is
setup on this machine. Things in the bios can be adjusted a very limited amount and
the MOBO does some strange stuff with resource sharing that probably make little sense
to anyone on this planet and most of this stuff seems to apply only to the IBM
thinkpad 770s  I can see why they don't make em like this any more and for that matter
did not make em like this for long! Anyway the solution was to get the serial port to
move to com3 in windoze by use of some piece of crap called a thinkpad configurater
that allows adjustments of some features of the bios only from within windows. The
short story is that after I was able to get the serial port moved to com 3 everything
works great.
  Linux can only see the serial port and work with it properly if it is set to com 3
in windoze.
   Glad to be back to useing a decent email client in a real OS.

    Thanks everybody for your help and suggestions.

    Marc