I tried using the command you suggested but it was
still asking to install dependacies and items such as
samba.  Did I do something wrong?  Do I need to remove
the other sources so it doesn't check for updates on
those as well?  I found a cron HOWTO and think I have
the basic idea... but I dont' want to put it in there
if it keeps trying to install unneeded software - and
if it needs a confirmation....

--- Derek Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 Feb 2003 9:31 pm, T E wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I just followed the instructions for Mandrake
> URPMI
> > updates on www.urpmi.org - and wow - if you
> haven't
> > already looked into this subject I highly suggest
> it!
> >
> > My question is this: How can I setup a urpmi
> update to
> > happen ONLY to packages installed?  In other
> words, I
> > don't want any extra packages installed... I
> notice
> > that when I use Mandrake Update items such as
> Samba
> > are included in the updates even though I do not
> have
> > it installed.  It then demands to install
> dependancies
> > etc (this also happend with the commands shown
> below).
> >  Since this is for a firewall, I do not want
> anything
> > extra on there at all.  Also and ideally it would
> run
> > on its own (maybe in a "cron" job, however that
> > happens?).
> >
> > BTW,I used the following commands to update urpmi:
> > urmpi.addmedia PlzWork \
> > <ftp site of choice> \
> > with ../base/hdlist.cz
> >
> > Then did urpmi.update -a
> > and
> > urpmi --auto-select
> >
> > ...it updated but threw in a bunch of extra crap
> too!
> >

> When you added the update source if you had used the
> option
>
> urpmi.addmedia --update PlzWork ftp site of choice
> with ../base/hdlist.cz
>
> Then the source will be an "update" source which
> means you can use the command
>
> urpmi --update --auto-select
> and then only update sources will be considered when
> pulling packages.
>
> The way you did it, then any package which has a
> newer version on any of the
> sources will have been updated. But it will not have
> installed anything that
> was not already there.
>
> Now you have seen the wonders of urpmi, go here
> http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php and get more
> fun sources.
>
> derek
>

> --