On Fri 2003-02-07 at 20:30:49 +1300, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> To us Newbs acronyms are a PITA FWIW IMHO

Really? Having had English as third language only in school, I had no
particular trouble with acronyms when I first hit the internet - I had
trouble with a lot of words, but acronyms where not worse.

Sure, I did not know what they stand for, but I soon knew their
meaning (that was around 1990 - man, I am getting old ;). Maybe it was
easier for me, because I was used to not knowing every word in an
English sentence (and no, looking up each is not reasonable when
skimming through newsgroups).

I knew that when something is a PITA, I don't want to have to do it.
Hehe, and when I learned what YMMV means (your mileage may vary), I
was none the wiser, because I was not familiar with neither the idiom,
nor the relevant words.

So, yes, acronyms are unfamiliar, but a PITA? Well, just imagine how
all the people have to struggle, who are not native English speakers
and therefore miss to know even more words. :)

Bye,

        Benjamin.

PS: AFAICT, for any down here LOL is known as Loughing Out Loud, a
    variant of ROTFL (Rolling On The Floor, Loughing). And, btw, I
    never heard of TTYTT before, neither had Google (125 hits - PITA
    has 117.000).