Robert Wideman wrote:
to tell you the truth though, it's been my experience that going
Linux to
Linux, which I do 97% of the time on my home Lan, NFS is killer compared
to the misery Linux->Linux samba brings. IMHO samba only exists to allow
winders machines to connect to and share files with a Linux machine.

I agree.  Also isnt NFS more secure?  I mean "can" be more secure if
properly setup.
Rob
Yes, it can be secure enough, "if" properly setup, but at the same
time it's really never more secure then samba if there even can
be such a thing as secure where these two are concerned. You
actually have more control with samba as far as I've seen, so in
the very loosest of terms, Samba is somewhat more secure then NFS.

As long as you have your clients clearly defined as being the only
ones that are allowed to access the NFS shares then you should be just
fine. If you really want to be as sure as you can about access then
set things up on the NFS server so that the machine has two NICs
in it. eth0 being your outside interface (internet) and eth1 being
the local interface (LAN), and only allow NFS access (port 2049)
across the LAN (eth1).

--
Mark

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then who's the father?"
Linux User Since 1996