On Saturday 08 February 2003 21:22, John Passaniti wrote:
> I am trying to install Mandrake 9.0 and I can't get very far.  I can
> boot from the CD-ROM and get the graphical screen telling me to press F1
> or Return.  I press Return to start the graphical installation, and as
> Linux is booting, the system hangs.
>
> My system's configuration:
>
> Asus A7V motherboard, 900 MHz Athlon, 256M of RAM
> Two hard drives on primary IDE (not Promise controller)
> One CD-ROM drive on secondary IDE (again, not Promise controller)
> Adaptec AHA-2930 controller with HP T20 tape backup unit
>
> Here are the messages I see prior to Linux hanging (I'm retyping these
> from the screen, excuse any minor typos):
>
> ----- ----- -----
> PDC20265: chipset version 2
> PDC20265: not 100% native mode, will probe iqrs later
> ----- ----- -----
>
> The system hangs at that point.  Rarely, I see it add three more
> messages before it hangs:
>
> ----- ----- -----
> PDC20265: (U)DMA burst bit DISABLED Primary PCI Mode Secondary PCI Mode
>     ide2: BM-DMA at 0x8000-0x8007, BIOS settings hde:pio, hdf:pio
>     ide3: BM-DMA at 0x800e-0x800F, BIOS settings hdg:pio, hdh:DMA
> ----- ----- -----
>
> The problem appears to be with the Promise controller on the
> motherboard.  I have *nothing* connected to it (and I don't intend to
> use it at all).  I have flashed the motherboard with the latest BIOS,
> and I have disabled the Promise controller-- well, at disabled it as far
> as the BIOS goes.  There doesn't seem to be any way to truly disable it.
>
> The kernel version of Linux that is shown on the screen as it boots is:
>
>       Linux 2.4.19-16mdkBOOT
>
> I have also tried creating a boot floppy using the two alternate images
> provided for CD-ROM installation, and both also fail in the same way.
>
> I could probably install Mandrake Linux 9.0 without problems if I could
> somehow tell Linux to ignore the Promise controller entirely.  Are there
> any command-line flags that I could provide the kernel that would make
> it ignore this device?
>
> Any help or suggestions people can provide will be much appreciated.

   I had a similar problem with a install of 9.0 a couple of months ago. You
may want to try this . right after starting the machine with the CD in the
cup holder press and hold F1 this should bring up a screen where you can
choose to install 1 of 3 alternate kernals labeled OLT 0, OLT 1 and OLT2
they should say ALT in stead of OLT but the folks at mandrake made a typo,

   Try each of the alternate kernals one at a time and see if things go
better. Also make shure your BIOS is set for a non PNP OS.

   Hope this helps
    Marc