On Sat 2003-02-08 at 21:17:47 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Saturday 08 February 2003 08:59 pm, Benjamin Pflugmann wrote:
[...]
> > Well, not exactly quietly. You did get a bounce, didn't you? The
> > reason it takes 4-5 days to bounce is because your mail server
> > (@adelphia.net) handles it as temporary failure and retries for some
> > time before giving up (that's perfectly okay, because most times this
> > error will be due to some DNS problems).
>
> I meant quiet from the standpoint that sympa does not respond, but the isp
> finally gives up.  But yes, you are right.

I am not sure if what you mean is completely correct. It sounds as if
you think the mailing list server does answer at all. You are right
that sympa (the mailing list software) does not respond, but that it
because the mail never comes so far.

But the SMTP server for the mailing list does respond (the "cannot
find your hostname, [64.8.50.181]" bit). The mail does not get to
passed to sympa, because the error is raised earlier in the chain. So
it is not that the ISP does not reach the mandrake mailing list
server. It does reach it, but the server says, "I take no mail from
you, because I cannot find your hostname".

You get the bounce from your ISP, because it is the last server in the
chain that accepted responsibility for the mail. Mandrake's server
rejected the mail before it accepted responsibility, therefore it's up
to your ISP to possibly retry and at the end generate the bounce.

[...]
> > specifically who else is the culprit. If not, then I would seriously
> > consider another provider, because you cannot know what else they
>
> Not an option as they are the only broadband provider at my address :-(

Another option would be to find someone with a mail server who would
be willing to be a mail relay for you (only needed as outgoing
server).

HTH,

        Benjamin.