May I begin this experience with a thankyou to Tom Brinkman whose
kindness enabled me to have a 3cd set to do this beta install
with.

First Install M9.1beta3
=======================

I chose f1 graphical expert mode and all began to go downhill from
after mouse install whereupon on many occasions, near halt as the programme appeared to hang for a long time, but eventually managed to clear itself while despirately trying to hit various keys to get things moving again. So,

1) Diskdrake failed to colour classify correctly one ext2 partition /dev/hda10 which it insisted was NTFS and it therefore colour coded it blue in accordance with diskdrake colour menu, but the partition was in fact an ext2 partition and any attemt to rectify the file system clasification threatened elimination of all data, which I certainly did not want it to do. I chose to leave it as it was.

2) Once again it insisted on installing lilo,which I would of prefered it did not, since I have a dualboot M9.0/M9.1beta3 setup and if anything
goes wrong with this beta install it messes up my M9.0 boot, and indeed
this is precisely what it did as will become apparent.

3) No printer configuration at all, error message: foomatic rpm not found .

4) The whole install programme finally came to a complete halt at any attempt to install monitor configuration,and video card drivers etc.
There was no xwindows at all, as the install completely hung right at the beginning .I had to crash to get out of it.

I then found myself with an install that had no possibility of ever reaching desktop in M9.1beta3, but with only a duff lilo install
to get back to M9.0

I did manage to install M9.0's lilo but not without having to make
use of M9 f1, resue , and a vi editor , which I personally hate as a text editor, as it's not intuitive, and the help file omits key crucial
operational infomation, but not without considerable difficulty, did
I manage to rewrite my M9's lilo.conf, save and exit, and run /sbin/lilo. I then went Rescue and install lilo. Much releieved I felt after half a day's absence from M9's desktop.

I will have another attempt tonight at a fresh install, but I do wish
the installer gave us an option not to install lilo at all, it makes
beta testing, a likely high risk failure rate process, far less trying.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]