Hi,

I've kind of got Samba working and I've got a couple of questions before I
go further.

My network is 3 computers:
- Windows ME with my HP DeskJet 694C printer
- Windows XP on a laptop
- Mandrake Linux 9.0

The two Windows machines see each other fine, sharing hard drives and the
one printer.

The two Windows machines can "see" the Linux box as a Windows machine with
Samba running.  The Windows XP machine is capable of logging and mapping a
drive to a share based on username.  When I connect from the XP machine I
get a username/password prompt.

When I attempt to connect from the WinME machine, I get a different prompt -
no username field.  It just says "\\servername\IPC$" and a password box.

Isn't there someplace where I can set the default user or something, within
Samba?  If not, how do I get the WinME machine to login to the Linux box, in
other words, what username is it requesting?

Once I get this working, I'm assuming I'll need to setup CUPS on the Linux
machine so it can print back to the Windows ME machine, correct?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Marlo Montanaro
CNE
Registered Linux User 303184

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't."