-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Brian Parish
Sent: Monday, 10 February 2003 8:47 PM
To: newbie
Subject: Re: [newbie] quick and dirty local mail server

On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 21:36, Brian Parish wrote:
> I need to set up a mail server based on Mdk 9.0 tomorrow to serve local
> mail only.  i.e. Just to be a pop server for W$ client machines on the
> LAN.  No relaying outside the network.
>
> I have approx. zero time to do this.  Can anyone offer the simplest way
> or point me at the appropriate URL?
>
> TIA
> Brian

OK - bad form to reply to your own posts, but I think I've made it part way.
I've installed postfix and it's running with default settings.
I've installed the imap rpm and can see in webmin that the pop3 server is
enabled within the xinetd thingy.

So now I can check for new messages and presumably if there were some, I
would
get them.  If I try to send to the server using smtp however, I get
connection
refused on port 25.  The firewall shouldn't be implicated as this is coming
from
the trusted interface, but I opened port 25 just on case.  No change.

I assume that postfix is providing the smtp server functionality, so maybe I
haven't switched on what needs to the switched on there?

As always, all input gratefully received.

TIA
Brian