On Monday 10 February 2003 05:14 pm, Miark wrote:
> I would expect that a x.1 version of something would be the x.0
> version with tweaks and updates. 9.1, however, seems a wholly new
> beast, with a whole new kernel, new installer, kde 3.1, and so on.
>
> So why is this new version 9.1 and not 10.0?
>
> Miark

Well did you see a new glibc?  Binaries under 9.1 are compatible with 9.0 and
more or less vice-versa.

And the kernel has not changed--we are still on 2.4 series

FYI

5.1, 5.2, 5.3 => RH Code PLUS. & Kernel 2.0.3x

6.0, 6.1(aka 6.5) => Code divergence, Kernel 2.2

7.0, 7.1 => Graphic Installer, Kernel 2.2 KDE with many attractive themes.
7.1 introduced consolidated menu structure across desktops.

7.2 => Kernel 2.2 with udma100 backported from 2.3, Menu editor, KDE 1.99/2.0

8.0,8.1,8.2 => Compiler changed from egcs to gcc 2.96 patched.  glibc changed.
rpms binary incompatible with 7.x versions, kernel 2.4  Supermount rewritten
many times for the new kernel. devfs introduced.

9.0=>KDE 3.0, yet another glibc version.  Binary incompatibility with 8.x
versions except for staticly linked packages.

9.1=>KDE 3.1 New look on installer and change in organization

Why is x.1 bleeding edge?  If you want stable, buy Corporate Server with its
12-month development cycle.  x.0 x.1 x.2 are all to some extent bleeding
edge.

But if you have used 9.1 Beta3, you may have already discovered that bleeding
edge can send a wind from your terminal screen to blow your hair back.  I
wish releases were as nice as that beta.

Civileme