On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 12:21:34 -0600
Tom Brinkman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wednesday February 12 2003 09:30 am, et wrote:
> > I think urpmi uses either wget or curl, and one supports resume and
> > one does not as default, and urpmi defaults to the one that does
> > not support resume, or something like that
>
>    Default is wget, unless curl is installed. 9.1b3 installs curl, so
> that's what urpmi will use.  I tend to like curl better, but it seems
> wget is often more bulletproof.  So, if curl is installed,
>
>    urpmi.update -a --wget && urpmi --auto-select --wget
>
>  Will make urpmi use wget.  From the man page,
>
>    "Wget has been designed for robustness over slow or unstable
> network connections; if a download fails due to a network problem, it
> will keep retrying until the whole file has been retrieved.  If the
> server supports regetting, it will instruct the server to continue
> the download from where it left off."
>
>    OTOH, it seems curl needs a switch to support resumes,
>
>  -C/--continue-at <offset>
>              "Continue/Resume a previous file transfer at  the  given
> offset.  The  given  offset  is  the  exact  number of bytes that
> will be skipped counted from the beginning of the source file before
> it is transfered to the destination.  If used with uploads, the ftp
> server command SIZE will not be used by curl."
>
>     Thanks for jarring my brain Ed. I didn't think to look at these
> man pages. It appears that --wget is a better option with problem
> connections.  Then urpmi should resume, even after a re-connect.
>
>    I've been usin 'cook'
> (alias cook='urpmi.update -a --wget && urpmi --auto-select') as I got
> tired of hdlist retrieval failures due to "too many users" and such
> errors.  --wget just keeps hammerin away till they finally let me in.
> So currently I'm usin wget to update sources, but curl to get the
> updates ;)
>
> --
>     Tom Brinkman                  Corpus Christi, Texas

Thanks for that info, Tom, I'll check my system.  I dont think that i have curl
installed... (ok whereis curl returned nothing unless it's part of libcurl which IS
installed .... locate curl gave /usr/lib/libcurl.so.2 and /usr/lib/libcurl.so.2.0.2
along with other regex matches....) but perhaps i don't have wget installed/configured
correctly.  I'll check on that :)

Jerry

Registered Linux user # 300600
Registered Linux machine # 185855