On Wednesday 12 February 2003 9:46 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:
*snip*
>    What you touched on is really a bios deficiency in many ready made
> computers. The larger problem is making any changes to ready mades.
> The computer left the factory with the bare minimums to support the
> original hardware configuration, design, and OS.
>
>    Adding in hardware later probly won't go over to well, and changing
> the OS from Windoze often doesn't either.
>
>     Are you sure there's not a bios option, somethin like "memory hole
> at 16mb", and that it's not enabled?
It's not just the ready-made one's with this problem. I've found that MANY
all-in-one's either don't have the option to disable the onboard video, or if
even if they have the option, it doesnt work.  I have a ASUS sp97v board with
a dead onboard vga and a PCI vga card.... I disabled the onboard card using a
jumper on the motherboard to do so, and yet X still detects the card and
attempts to use it, however the memory is freed and everything works if I
tell X to not use that card.
 He should look on the board, near the onboard VGA connector, to see if there
is a jumper to disable the onboard stuff.. It will allow the board to give up
it's shared vga memory, and might even actually disable the onboard video
like it's supposed to.

--
Chuck Burns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>