From: Lyvim Xaphir [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 6:47 AM
To: NewbieMandrake-List
Subject: Re: [newbie] Mdk 9.1 beta3 network problem

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 06:40, Tony S. Sykes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I installed beta 3 last night on my system (formatted /, /usr and /var
> but kept /home), everything seems fine except for the internet
> connection. I have a realtek 8139 card. The mcc says the lan is up but
> not the internet (have to run mcc from command line as menu icon does
> not work). I had no probs with 9.0 and when I boot into windows the
> internet is there. I looked through cooker list last night and could
not
> find anything similar to my problem so I assume that it is a settings
> problem. Do I need to remove some of the hidden directories from my
home
> dir, and if so which ones, as I have a lot for programs I want to keep
> the settings for?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony.

I don't think that you are isolated in this problem.  I had exactly the
same difficulty and have been forced to manually configure the network
routes since installing Beta 3.  Run "ifconfig" from a root command line
and make sure that "eth0" exists and also has an IP address assigned to
it.

If eth0 exists, but has no IP address assigned, then do

ifconfig eth0  your.box.ip.number

After that you need to manually configure the route to your gateway.  If
you have a persistent connection like I do, and your gateway is a cable
modem or similar, then you do the following:

route add default gw your.gateway.ip.number eth0

If you have a modem connection, then if I remember correctly you connect
with kppp or similar utility, and then use the IP that your ISP assigns
to your modem connection as the gateway.

Now try to ping out to a public IP to test.

HTH

LX

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Business Computer Projects - Disclaimer -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

This message, and any associated attachment is confidential. If you have
received it in error, please delete it from your system, do not use or
disclose the information in any way, and notify either Tony S. Sykes
or the postmaster <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  immediately.

necessarily the views of Business Computer Projects Ltd., unless
specifically stated.

Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that emails and their
attachments are virus free, it is the responsibility of the recipient(s)
to verify the integrity of such emails.

Business Computer Projects Ltd
BCP House
151 Charles Street