I finally got PHP to compile properly. It seems I had two versions of
apache-devel installed. I uninstalled them both, then reinstalled the
later version and that did the trick.

I've run through the make process and edited the relevant lines in
httpd.conf but now I can't start the httpd daemon. I get the error:

Starting httpd:
Syntax error on line 67 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/lib/apache/libphp3.so into server:
/usr/lib/apache/libphp3.so: undefined symbol: ap_regexec

And it stops.

Have I not included some relevant option in the ./configure line? or is
the problem elsewhere?

cheers. James.
--
    James Stewart     |          Britlinks         |  The Phantom Tollbooth
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.britlinks.co.uk | http://www.tollbooth.org

     Sixpence None The Richer UK -- http://www.britlinks.co.uk/sixpence/