On Saturday 15 February 2003 04:32 am, Robert Wideman wrote:
> >> I'd tend to reckon because MDK is being designed and marketed as a
> >> desktop distro instead of a server distro - hence the emphasis on
> >> desktop stuff and not on dev stuff or server security stuff...but that's
> >> on my eyeballs...
>
> True.  But there are still some security measures that you would want to be
> able to take.
> Win2k/XP/etc has IIS installed on them to be servers.....
> Rob
I'm not positive this has not changed, but in the past, there are points given
to different programs and based on what type of install you chose and what
sort of packages you selected and how much hard drive space you have, during
the install stage the installer then selects programs for you as "basic
install" expecting (in the expert install anyway) you to either just go with
what it installs and have you install what ever programs you want after, or
to just use what ever is there. I think the logic has something also to do
with "if this program requires some advanced knowledge (something beyond
"click mouse and play") then whomever is going to need to use it should also
be capable of downloading and installing it".
Also when installing, one of my complaints like this, is that, if you "toggle
to flat" durring the package selection (so that the packages are listed
alphabetically instead of by group) there seems to me to be many more
programs available. and they are not listed six times each (once as a kde
desktop app, once as a Gnome app, once as "other desktops" app and then also
as mulitmedia etc). but it does require a knowledge of what most of the
programs are, and I believe there is a possiblity of installing conflicting
programs this way, or at least screwing up the programs you selected by
de-selecting some part of one program to get a conflicting package installed.