On Sunday 16 Feb 2003 8:46 am, Alan Shoemaker wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I thought I had set up a cron job (using webmin) to update
> > the database every night.  Indeed, I thought I had seen
> > indication that it had run, but today I have seen
> >
> > slocate: warning: database /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db' is
> > more than 8 days old
> >
> > How can I find what went wrong?  Could it be that I have
> > set it as a user and it needs to be root?
> >
> > Anne
>
> due to complaints that vigorous disk activity was occurring
> when a system was first booted up (anacron running jobs that
> were missed because the system was turned off), anacron was
> not installed by default as of 9.0.  install it and it'll
> begin working.
>
> urpmi anacron
>
> Anacron  can be used to execute commands periodically, with a
> frequency specified in days.  Unlike cron(8), it does not
> assume that the machine is running continuously.  Hence, it
> can be used on machines that aren't running 24 hours a day,
> to control daily, weekly, and monthly jobs that are usually
> controlled by cron.

Thanks, Alan, but the puzzle is that I *do* run 24/7.  I can't see why it
should have been more than 8 days since it updated.  There was one night with
a long power cut when the machine was down, but that's a one-off, and in any
case I think it was over a week ago.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302