Benjamin Pflugmann wrote:
On Wed 2003-02-12 at 14:22:41 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[...]

what i'm doing:
ps ax | grep <process> su
(passwd)
kill -s <signal> <pid>

using all kinds of signals.... starting with sigterm, sigkill,

Those two is all you need. "kill -s TERM" will ask the process to
terminate (the process may refuse), "kill -s KILL" forcefully tries to
kill the process (.

If it doesn't terminate after a KILL signal, there is no way to do
it. Usually it means that your kernel got a hickup which shouldn't
normally happen. There are cases where the kernel cannot remove a
process due to its internal state[1], but I only encountered these with
either broken kernels (i.e. an update fixed it) or with broken
hardware.

signals like sigrtmin+2 even were [and man kill does not say])

man 7 signal

(that's mentioned in "man kill")

not wanting to get mucking around too much with something i didn't
fully understand i didn't use them ALL but it seems like sigkill
should kill just about anything :-/

Correct. If it does not, there is nothing a mere user (or admin) can
do about it.
I know it's late in the thread but I thought I'd mention that when I get a process that I can't kill from top or using ps then I've always had success doing it from webmin. haven't had one yet that couldn't be killed from webmin.

--
Mark
Linux User Since 1996