On Monday 17 February 2003 08:06 am, Terry Smith wrote:
> Six inches thick! musta been runnin' some paltry code :-)).
>
> Ahh.. the grand old days (late 1970s),,,   I was in grad school working
> in an ecosystem modeling group. We ran, and re-ran and re-ran (usually a
> keypuch error!) a FORTRAN IV program which simulated all the
> interactions in a large northeast US estuary....three boxes of cards
> worth!  took about 40 minutes to read the stack.
>
> This is in a room not much larger than a good-sized bathroom, with a tty
> console (talking to the main frame on another campus), three keypuch
> machines, and high speed printer...all going non-stop, 12 hours a day.
>
> No wonder I have a hearing loss!
>
> Terry Smith
> Cape Cod USA
>
> On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 10:38, Dennis Myers wrote:

> > <big snip>
> >
> > > I grew up with Fortran, back in the days when there were compilers such
> > > as Fortran-IV, Fortran-G, Fortran-H, Fortran-IV with Watfor and
> > > WatFIV...  It is still an interesting compiler and language, but these
> > > days I use almost exclusively Python because I am a baaaad habit
> > > programmer and I need something that forces me to code cleanly and
> > > clearly, even at the expense of features.
> > >

> > > If that isn't enough
> >
> > Ooh, fortran IV, nostalgia hits the brain, the good old days of punch
> > cards and sorters. Never , ever drop a stack of cards 6 inches thick. Can
> > ruin your whole day. Hehehe
> > --
> > Dennis M. linux user #180842
> >
> > ----

> > Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

I remember those good old days. If you guys are nostalgic on the seventies, I
am also nostalgic on the sixties. I remember those stacks of punched cards
and machines and the punched paper tapes. I still have a bunch of rolls of
punched paper tapes. I do not have a paper tape reader though. Do you know
where I can get my hands on one in the San Francisco Bay area?

Thanx,

Seedkum