On Monday 17 February 2003 01:18 pm, David E. Fox wrote:
> > Looks like I managed to mess up the system good. With the texstar KDE
> > rpms I can shut down konqueror ok, but I can no longer access my cdrom
> > devices. The
>
> How are you accessing the drives? Are you using the icons? Maybe the
> icons are messed up. KDE should not be interfering with the devices -
> i.e., you should still be able to mount them or go to them in a
> console.
>
> You might try right-clicking on Properties on your cdrom icon to
> double-check the settings. Over here, I don't see anything wrong, and
> I installed 3.1 sometime ago. FWIW, I do get a popup box about not
> being able to launch kfmexec, but konqueror does pop up witht cdrom's
> contents.
>
> In previous upgrades I've had to move the old .kde over and recreate a
> new .kde, but in the last upgrade I didn't do that and it seems to
> have kept all the previous settings. For me, it was a relatively clean
> upgrade.

I could not get the cdroms to read no matter where I was, even as root.
Permissions were there and fstab looked right just couldn't see anything on
the cdroms.
I ended up with such a mess that I reinstalled the whole system.  Now I am
back to having the updates and the -24 kernel and am d/ling the texstar 3.1
packages again. Lost the last batch somewhere. So, did you d/l everything
including the devel packages? One really doesn't need the devel packages in
most cases do they? I ask cause sometimes there are dependencies based on a
development package.  I am trying again. Never quit.  TIA for any hints.
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842