SNIP
> Derek
> Thanks for the reply (and Tod and Greg). I created a ~/.procmailrc file
> similar to yours but
> without spamassassin and am now using the procmail lockfile I defined in
> my home directory, so this has solved my problem.
>
> However I am intrigued by how procmail works, in order to get mail
> transferred into the default folder I defined I need the last two lines
> you quote ie:-
>
> :0:$LOCKFILE
>
> $DEFAULT
>
> But none of the examples in man procmail seem to include this and the
> comments imply that everything left at the end goes to $DEFAULT by er!
> default.
> Am I missing something?

Procmail recipes are wondrously arcane. It took me days to get my head around
even the simplest. Once I had something that worked I did not attempt to cut
out redundant bits.

To analyse these two lines :-

The leading  ':0' delineates the start of a recipe
The next ':' tells procmail to set the lockfile.
Next comes the name of the lockfile. If no name is given the default lockfile
is assumed, so I did not really have to explicitly name it.

The next line would normally contain the filter this recipe is testing
against, but since this is the default action no test is required, and we go
straight on to the action which is to put the mail in the $DEFAULT mailbox.

Another example recipe is :-
:0 : $LOCKFILE
* ^To:.*@linux-mandrake.com
$NEWBIE

This says " Set the lockfile, scan the mail looking for a newline followed by
'To:' with any number of characters following then '@linux-mandrake.com'.
If this filter is met put the mail in NEWBIE folder.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net