On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 04:18, Richard B. Thibaudeau wrote:
> Ref:     Mandrake-Linux 9 PowerPack edition: Kernel 2.4.19-16mdk
>
>             Registration Number: PWP90MM-322CBA-ENG-HPCK-E9K9
>
> Computer:   P1-233, 114Mb memory. Stand-alone computer.
>                       Hard Drives:      hda1  Windows NT4
>                                                   hdb1 Linux
>
> Dear Sir or Madam:
>
> Could you help me with this problem:
>
> The above computer has a US Robotics/3Com 56k Voice FaxModem model 5610
> with Plug and Play feature.  It is listed in your hardware database.
>
> It works properly under Windows on Com3; it does not work in Windows on
> Com2.  In Linux, it responds only on ttyS1 / Com2.  When I run a Modem
> Query, it displays: Looking for Modem, Modem Ready, ATI, ATI 1up to ATI
> 7.  Then it displays the Query Results: all the fields are blank.  If I
> dial to connect, I get Modem Ready, Initializing Modem, Expected: OK.
> Then nothing happens.
>
> So far it seems it is not recognized.  I have used all the combinations
> possible: PAP / CHAP authentication; only flow controls XON/XOFF or None
> work.  CR, LF and CR/LF do not make any difference.
>
> K/Configuration/KDE/Information/IO-Ports gives address range 6400-6407
> for the modem.
>
> The modem doesn't show in the detected hardware list in Harddrake2.
>
> Is there a way to make the connection through ttsS2 / Com3?  That might
> work. Or what can I do?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Richard Thibaudeau

Which program are you using to connect? KPPP? Or are you using the
Mandrake Control Center to initiate the dial up?

Some things to consider for making sure the USR works properly is to add
some init strings - the following generally work quite well:

AT &F &C1 &D2 E1 Q0 V1

If KPPP keep getting nasty on your (it's most likely a time-out that's
mucked up) you can use WVDIAL to get it working.
--
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:15:00 +1100
 10:15am  up 22:58,  3 users,  load average: 0.67, 0.36, 0.22

                        HOW TO PROVE IT, PART 7
proof by forward reference:
        Reference is usually to a forthcoming paper of the author,
        which is often not as forthcoming as at first.

proof by semantic shift:
        Some of the standard but inconvenient definitions are changed
        for the statement of the result.

proof by appeal to intuition:
        Cloud-shaped drawings frequently help here.