Hi,

On Friday 21 February 2003 01:54, Chris wrote:
> On Thursday 20 February 2003 07:32 pm, Larry Williams decided to hunt and
> peck
>
> on the keyboard and typed:
> > On Thursday 20 February 2003 15:52, Chris wrote:
> > > I put in a pre-recorded cd in my drive a bit ago, clicked on the cd
> > > icon and got a box that said I don't have enough permissions to open
> > > /mnt/cdrom, tried my other drive, got the same.  A cd that I've
> > > recorded mp3's on works just fine.  Why won't a pre-recorded one?  And
> > > what may I have to do to fix it?
> >
> > Your pre-recorded CD is, I assume, an audio CD with an audio track (or
> > tracks).  Your MP3s are stored in a computer-readable filesystem.  Audio
> > CDs are not mounted the same way, and that's likely your issue.
> >
> > When you put in your audio CD, do you then open a CD player like XMMS or
> > KsCD to play the disc?
>
> Thats what I thought.  Actually, what I was going to do is see what format
> a regular audio cd was in.  I'd like to take some of my mp3 cds and convert
> them (if possible) to play in my car cd player.  I think I read a while
> back the this can be done by converting them to .wav files, but I may be
> incorrect.  If so, I know I can use mplayer to do this.  The audio cd will
> load up and play with KsCD but not XMMS or Mplayer, any reason why neither
> work?

I use gcombust for this, you just drag your wav files into it and hit 'burn'.

For converting mp3 to wav, here is some little script. (it's an early one so
don't judge me by it - it's patchwork from others scripts, but it did it for
me)

You need mpg123 and sox installed (which I guess is pretty much standard).

Put it into a text file and make it executable with 'chmod u+x mp32wav' and
move it into /usr/bin or something in your PATH.

If you start the script with "mp32wav *.mp3" in a folder with mp3s or from the
Nautilus script folder) it creates a subfolder "wav" and converts all mp3
into wav files with the same name exept '.mp3' becomes '.wav'

b.
---------------
#!/bin/bash
# mp32wav

mp3file="$*"
mkdir wav

for file in "$@" ; do
        #echo "$file"
        wavfile=`echo "$file" | sed s/\\.mp3/.wav/`
        printf "%-50s %-50s\n" "$file" "-->  $wavfile"

        # to encode wav-->mp3
        #lame -h "$file" "$mp3file"

        # to encode mp3-->wav
        mpg123 -b 10000 -s "$file" | sox -t raw -r 44100 -s -w -c2 - "wav/$wavfile"
done