* Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [030224 07:00]:
> I thought that png was a lossless compression - am I wrong?

No, you are right.

> If I start from a jpg file from my camera, 397 KB, why does saving it as a png
> come out at 2.4MB?

Because .png IS a lossless compression.  Your camera is using a lossy
format, .jpg, to reduce your images to 397 KB.  If you then save it as
a .png, you are saving the already lossy image in a lossless format,
resulting in a much larger file.  The .png you make does not contain
any additional information than what was in the original .jpg, so it
is questionable how useful that is.

So why use .png at all?  Well, I use it a lot for screenshots for
training.  One thing .jpg does NOT do well is represent typical
application program screenshots.  Areas that should appear all the
same color often have "artifacts" (distortions) when saved in .jpg
format.  Actually, photos do too, but usually they are less obvious.

Another good use for a lossless compression like .png is when you will
be using a photo editor to edit the file.  If you edit a .jpg, you
take an already lossy image, edit it ... all photo editors I know use
a lossless compression technique internally, at least while they are
editing the image ... and then save it.  If you save it as a .jpg, the
image is compressed in a lossy manner, and these losses can
accumulate.  The GIMP's native format, .xcf, is lossless, and can get
HUGE, but that's the expense of using lossless but better quality
compression.

--
Jan Wilson, SysAdmin     _/*];          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Corozal Junior College   |  |:'  corozal.com corozal.bz