On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 23:06, Brian Parish wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 07:13, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 14:06, Brian Parish wrote:
> > > Well - one dummy anyway.
> > >
> > > All I need to do is to set up a server to handle mail on an intranet.
> > > No relaying to anywhere and no incoming mail from anywhere else.  I
> > > would think that this should be easy - it probably is.
> > >
> > > So I installed postfix and imap.  I can check for new mail OK, so pop is
> > > working, but no matter what I do, sending mail only results in
> > > connection rejected messages from SMTP.
> > >
> > > I read that mandrake sets up postfix to run chrooted, so I copied the
> > > /etc/passwd file over to /var/spool/postfix/etc, casue it said I might
> > > need to.
> > >
> > > I am running with defaults in main.cf because that's supposed to work.
> > > I have tried setting things according to the local intranet example on
> > > postfix.org - no change.
> > >
> > > Where do I look to try to work out what's going wrong?
> > >
> > > TIA
> > > Brian
> >
> > Ok....first, when you're sending an email - in whatever email client
> > you're using, did you set it for SMTP or for SENDMAIL? If you are
> > sitting  on the local machine when you're sending, you can set the
> > outbound as SENDMAIL (in most programs) and then POSTFIX will send it
> > out generally without a hitch.
> >
> > Now if you're on a machine on your network, and need to send mail out,
> > you're going to have to do some configuration to your POSTFIX server in
> > order to allow for relaying the mail - but that's not hard either. In th
> > POSTFIX configuration, under SMTP Server Options, you can set "Allow
> > untrusted routing" to "yes" - which should then allow any client on your
> > network to pass mail though the SMTP server - and should also work on
> > the email client on the local machine.
> >
> > Does that help any, or confuse you more?
> >
> > Give a holler for more!
>
> Hmmm.  Tried this with no change, but wouldn't that only apply if I
> wanted the server to route my mail somewhere?  All I want it to do is
> make it available to the clients on the LAN.  I guess I need to provide
> more info here.
>
> My /etc/postfix/main.cf file has now been configured by the postfix
> wizard.  The lines it defined are:
>
> readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-1.1.11/README_FILES
> alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
> myhostname = my.fully.qualified.host.name
> myorigin = $mydomain
> masquerade_domains = $mydomain
> virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
> canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
> relayhost = smtp.my.domain.name
>
> To this I added (on Stephen's advice):
> allow_untrusted_routing = yes
>
> ....and because it seems appropriate given that I want the mail to stay
> local:
> disable_dns_lookups = yes
>
> I have set up an account in Evolution that sends using smtp to the
> address given to relayhost and also put this into my hosts file so it
> [...]
Thought I'd close the loop on this one.  Turns out that postfix was
working just fine "out of the box", but the way I was addressing the
mail was a problem.  Once I had found /var/log/mail/info, all became
clear.  I had defined the server's IP address in the client's hosts
file:

192.168.0.1     smtp.my.domain

and was addressing mail:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On the server (so it could find itself):

192.168.0.1     server.my.domain

was in the hosts file.

With this setup, the info log shows me that postfix complains that this
address causes it to loop back on itself.  My solution was to make the
server's hosts file read:

192.168.0.1     server.my.domain server

and address the mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This works, but when the mail comes back it's origin is shown as:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

so any attempt to reply falls into the original black hole.

I have yet to find time to work on this.  Tried changing the way
addresses are rewritten using the webmin postfix admin stuff, but only
managed to stop it working altogether.

cheers
Brian