El lun, 24-02-2003 a las 04:59, Josenildo Marques escribió:
> And why is it used so much in examples ?

The story as I've heard it is this: Long ago, coders began to use the
acronym "fubar" (F*cked Up Beyond All Recognition), which later evolved
into the more phonetic "foobar" used today. Being a popular term, both
"foobar" and its shortened form "foo" have since become common
placeholder terms in examples, to keep examples clearer and less obtuse.

Thus if you were to ask me, say, "How can I read a man page?", I might
reply "To read man page 'foo', enter 'man foo' at the console." It's
clearer, if less precise, than replying "man [options] [section]
[title]".
--
Warren Post
Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras