If having a PCI card is not a necessity then I reckon you should go for a
SoundBlaster AWE 64.  Cheap as chips, well proven record.  I've used mine
with RH 5.2 and Mandrake 6.0.  The most I ever needed to do to get it
running is to run sndconfig twice.  I don't know if all the bells and
whistles of SB Live work under Linux.  IF they don't I wouldn't imagine
there to be a huge performance difference between the flashy PCI cards and
the AWE 64.  Of course I might be wrong on the last bit (anyone know any
different?)

I can't remember if sound is configured during installation.  If it isn't
just run setup from the console, or an xterm window, and choose sound.  IF
you don't have a good old fashioned ISA sound card, what are you going to do
with those three empty, never going to be used for anything else, ISA slots?

        Aaron