lewis wrote:
On Saturday 01 March 2003 05:19 pm, robin wrote:

lewis wrote:

Hello,  I have Mandrake Linux 9.0 installed on my computer.  The sound
doesn't work but it does on the windows side of the partition.  I have an
AMD Mainboard that uses SiS 740 chipset. It also has a built in AC97
Codec.  I am not sure what other information you might need out of the
book.  I am very new to Mandrake Linux.  There is so much I don't
understand.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks  Brenda

Try exiting X-window and running sndconfig (as root).

Sir Robin

Hi, I logged in as root and tried the sndconfig, but it says no PNP or PCI sound cards were found. It said to select my card type but I didn't know which one to pick. I did try the Intel i810 AC97 Audio but no luck. I also looked at Mandrake Control Center but the hardware list only had a floppy, disk, CDRom, and mouse. Thanks again. Brenda

I'm betting that your sound card is of the onboard variety. This being the case you be need to try another card. Disable the onboard card in the BIOS and stick another sound card in. Mdk9.0 likes the Ensoniq chipset fairly well. At least a bit better then it likes the Intel i810 chipset.

--
Mark

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then who's the father?"
Linux User Since 1996