>> Firewalling/packet filtering/NAT is compiled into the Linux Kernel, it
>> is not a service. You don't start it, you just configure it for
>> operation. The iptables package that you installed is only a user-space
>> configuration utility - again not a service. I would not worry if
>> iptables does not show correctly in the mcc service section.
>>
>> There are web sites that can test your system for firewalling
>> capabilities, for example www.pcflank.com. You might try one of those
>> with iptables enabled and disabled.

If you have IPTables installed as an rpm then it is a service.
It should not be a server.  It should be DLed (the source) along with the
kernel source and recompiled.
Unless you have DLed the sources like this and reconfigured everything
yourself then it is installed as an rpm/server like he states.
Uninstall iptables/ipchains and then DLed/install the sources.  Its much
better and you can see the list of rules/chains with "iptables -L".  If
nothing is listed then nothing is loaded....this doesnt matter how you
have it installed.

Rob