If rescue was unable to mount your partitions for you, it means it could not
find a valid fstab file on any of the partitons which is not a good sign.

Also if the installer was not able to guess where the partitions mount,  it is
a sign that the file system may be damaged :-(

Mounting the partitions manually in the installer should not lose any data so
long as you are *very* careful not to allow the partitions to be formatted.

Then as you say 'deselect' all the default packages and continue with the
install.

Did you not define a separate /home partition ?  A separate home makes life a
lot easier if/when you trash your system. You can just do a reinstall and
leave /home unformatted.

Perhaps the first thing you ought to try doing is to mount the partitions by
hand from the rescue CD The commands

mkdir /mnt/rescue
mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /mnt/rescue

will mount the first partition of the Primary master IDE on the mount point
/mnt/rescue as an ext3 filesystem.

Naturally you will have to select the correct partition numbers and file
system type for your installation.

If you can successfully mount your partitions you could copy your essential
data files over to your Windows partition as a backup before attempting a
reinstall.

Good luck

derek

--