thats it!, thanks to all who replied, this was driving me mad!

-----Original Message-----
From: K Montgomery [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 06 March 2003 14:56
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] chmod and higher security level

Tell me about it! :)  I just solved this exact problem myself yesterday.

It's Mandrake's security program "msec" that's doing this to you.

I fixed it by going to /usr/share/msec and editing the perm.? file
(where "?" is the number corresponding to the security level you are
using) and commenting out the line that says "/home/*".  It's this
particular line that says all directories in /home should have a certain
level of permissions.  If you comment the line, msec won't change the
permissions of subdirectories of /home.  (When you look at the entire
file you'll probably get the gist.)

The command "rpm -ql msec" will list all the files in the msec package,
if you want to poke around (as I like to do).

- Kathy