On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 02:04:12PM +0000, Jozef Riha wrote:
> hi
>
> is there a simple (for newbie) how-to for establishing streaming server
> (audio)? the streaming format which winamp or wpm uses is enough.
>
> thanks.
>
> cheers,
>
> --joe

Hi Joe,

It's been a few months since I looked into this, but I think you have a
few options.

Apple's Darwin streaming server is free software and can handle mp3 and
mp4. http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qtss/

Real Networks offers a free streaming server (Helix??) but it limits you
to something like 25 simultaneous connections. The license lasts for one
year, and I'm not sure if you just have to renew the license or purchase
a new one. It pretty much streams the proprietary Real formats.
http://licensekey.realnetworks.com/rnforms/products/servers/eval/index.html?ulf=b
and other free/trial prodcuts for Real:
http://www.realnetworks.com/products/free_trial.html

Icecast and Icecast 2 are released under the GPL. The original is still
available and will stream mp3; version 2 will stream ogg vorbis!
http://www.icecast.org/

Depending on what you want to stream (music, speech, or some combo), o/v
now supports low bitrates and has an encoder specifically designed for
speech audio (speex). See http://www.xiph.org/ for more info on those
codecs.

HTH,
Todd